Who doesn’t LOVE hummus? If you don’t then just exit out of this bog…. jk don’t be rude. Seriously though I love hummus. It has tons of protein from the chickpeas and goes well with pita chips, tomatoes, carrots, celery, more pita chips and whatever else you want. I made this hummus two ways. One is a roasted red pepper and the other is just a general hummus if you will. If you want to get real wild you can add more cayenne to the top of the red pepper hummus for an extra kick! Read below for instructions and ingredients.
This yields about 4-6 servings
(The only difference between the two is the roasted red pepper!)
1 Red pepper (if doing the OG hummus omit this)
2 tsp salt
3 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cans of chickpeas
2 tablespoons Tahini
olive oil for garnish
kalamata olives for garnish
- If you are doing the red pepper then put your oven on broil and put the pepper in the oven until the top starts to get black and bubble. It will be 5-7 minutes and add it to the blender with everything else.
- Okay moving on. If you are doing the OG hummus then start here. Open both cans of chickpeas and ONLY DRAIN 1. You need the bean juices (say that 10 times) to help mix. This will be better than adding water.
- Squeeze both lemons, add the garlic cloves, salt, cayenne pepper, and the tahini along with the 2 cans of chickpeas.
- Blend all together until you get a creamy consistency.
- It really is just as easy as that! You can always add more of one ingredient to adjust to your taste but I suggest to only add a tsp at a time.