I have been trying and trying to perfect my tortilla soup and make it taste amazing. My mom made the best tortilla soup growing up and I had to find a way to make it meat free and dairy free. This soup has the richest broth and will warm your little tummy. I love my meals to have a lot of flavor and spice so of course start small. THE MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENT IS CHIPOTLE PEPPERS IN ADOBO SAUCE. Got it? This ingredient is what makes the sauce. I recommend this in everything but thats just me. I also highly recommend black lentils, they have a meat taste unlike green lentils. I think of black lentils = red meat and green lentils = chicken. This soup is super easy and a quick, enjoy!
1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
1/2 pound green beans
1 gold/yellow onion
1 large zucchini
1 cup uncooked black lentils (try your best to use black lentils, they have a meat flavor unlike the green lentils)
6 cups vegetable broth
1 16 oz can roasted tomatoes
1-2 peppers of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (if you don’t like spicy only use 1)
salt to taste
1-2 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp paprika
1-2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp pepper
- Chop onion and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Cook on medium heat while chopping/ preparing everything else. Cook onions until translucent.
- Add zucchini, broth, lentils, spices, and chipotle peppers and everything else.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer on low for 15-20 min.
- This soup is so easy! Add more spice for flavor and enjoy!
- TIP: I always top my tortilla soup with chips and avocado and extra pepper.